Friday, March 21, 2008

Douglas Will Visit This Weekend


We will be going down to the military base tomorrow to pick up Douglas for his weekend visit. (That is him with the dorky grin on the left). Although we have spoken with him on the phone every week it will be the first time we have seen him since January 17th. So we are pretty excited. Even his 14 yo sister Kendra is giving up her social life of Saturday to go down and watch him drill, she actually admitted that she missed him.
He is doing so well in this program, it came at exactly the right time for him I think. I was so opposed to the idea that he had to really lobby me to even give it consideration and here he is flourishing. Sometimes we don't know it all I guess. But who knew that a military style structure would work for a kid with severe ADHD, Tourettes, PTSD, bi-polar disorder and a serious lack of motivation.
There is part of me that is definitely finding it hard to accept that my last baby boy is growing into a man. Don't get me wrong, I am excited that he is developing skills that will lead to independence (something we were really worried about him not achieving). I am just feeling very nostalgic for the wonderful years of homeschooling when he really became my pal. We were able to stay closer longer than with my older sons and I will miss that.
I am going to bed with strong anticipation of seeing him tomorrow and hanging out with him for 4 days before he has to go back.

No comments: